Church of St. Nicholas the Kremlin

Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya (Big Moscow) street, 66a
56.13083931, 40.41173624

The church in the name of Nicholas the Wonderworker was called the "Kremlin" because it was in the middle part of Vladimir, the Kremlin, at the western wall of the Bishop’s House (the Nativity of Christ monastery). The original foundation of this church should be attributed to the deep antiquity, because even in the beginning of the 17th century, being wooden, it was called "Nicholas the Old." During a violent fire in Vladimir in 1719 the church burned down.

The stone parish church of St. Nicholas the Kremlin was built in 1769. It had an unusual head in the form of a flowerpot. Simultaneously with the church, a tall tiered bell-tower was built. More than half a century (since 1962) the Vladimir Planetarium is placed in this ancient building. A serried vault of the church without pillars is perfectly suitable for demonstrating the starry sky. But in the near future it is planned to build a new building for the planetarium, and the church of St. Nicholas the Kremlin will be transferred to the Vladimir diocese.

Author: V. Korolkova